Facility Operations provides program policy, guidance and technical support for the national custodial program and the national operations and maintenance program.
National Custodial Specification
We use the National Custodial Specification [PDF - 1 MB] to contract for custodial services in GSA-owned facilities. These services include: cleaning, window washing, trash, waste and recycling management, grounds and landscaping maintenance, Integrated Pest Management services, and snow and ice removal.
Use the space change tool [XLSX - 77 KB] to calculate vacant or backfill space.
National Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Specification and Consolidated Services
Operations and maintenance includes services such as Heating Ventilation and Air-Conditioning, elevators, escalators, fire safety, roof, structure, energy, electric, switch gear, painting, plumbing, and carpentry.
The National O&M Specification [PDF - 1023 KB] pertains to services in the following areas: repairs, preventive maintenance, tours, water treatment, equipment inventory requirements, required contractor's reports, safety and environmental management, fire protection and life safety equipment, boiler/pressure vessel operation and inspection standards, hazardous materials.
These performance work statements (PWSs) contain requirements for O&M, Custodial, and Vertical Transport Services all under one contract.
- National Consolidated Services [PDF - 5 MB]
- National Facility Engineering Consolidated Services [PDF - 6 MB]
Supporting Documents and Exhibits
Each of the following are referenced in the PWS. Contractors can use the templates as a form to be completed and updated as annotated. Exhibits 3 and 5, the NCMMS Audit Tool, and the Quality Assurance Surveillance Plan are used by the Contracting Officer’s Representative to help grade contractor performance and by the contractor as a standard of reference for performance. The contractor may use exhibit 4 as an aid when pricing construction work for GSA.
- 2022 National O&M PWS Quality Assurance Surveillance Plan [PDF - 1 MB]
- Additional references [PDF - 65 KB]
- Exhibit 1 Building Information Template [PDF - 26 KB]
- Exhibit 2 Energy and Water Report Template [PDF - 120 KB]
- Exhibit 3 Contractor Maintenance Performance Plan [PDF - 19 KB]
- Exhibit 4 Construction Services Form [PDF - 107 KB]
- Exhibit 5 Contractor Chart of Deliverables [DOCX - 23 KB]
- Exhibit 6 Smart Buildings Template [PDF - 42 KB] (Smart Buildings only)
- Exhibit 7 Building Operations Plan template (2019) [DOCX - 71 KB]
- NCMMS Audit Tool Presentation [PDF - 4 MB]