We incorporate sustainability provisions in the following guidelines for leased buildings as new federal laws, policies, and Executive Orders are issued.
The mandatory provisions below address sustainable products and practices within leased space. Leased buildings are required to earn an ENERGY STAR® label, unless specific exceptions apply. For some lease types, a third-party green building rating certification is required—either Leadership for Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)® or Green Globes®.
Sustainability requirements: Request for Lease Proposals (RLP) and leases
- FY2023 Highlighted Global RLP [DOCM - 647 KB]—Highlights sustainability requirements in the GSA RLP template.
- FY2023 Highlighted Global Lease [DOCM - 326 KB]—Highlights sustainability requirements in the standard GSA lease template.
- FY2023 Matrix Highlighted Green Leasing Requirements Summary [XLSX - 77 KB]—Summarizes sustainability requirements for each Lease/RLP template.
- FY2022 Highlighted Global RLP [DOCM - 679 KB]—Highlights sustainability requirements in the GSA RLP template.
- FY2022 Highlighted Global Lease [DOCM - 365 KB]—Highlights sustainability requirements in the standard GSA lease template.
- FY2022 Matrix Highlighted Green Leasing Requirements Summary [XLSX - 77 KB]—Summarizes sustainability requirements for each Lease/RLP template.
- FY2023 Warehouse RLP Template R101WH [DOCX - 629 KB]
- FY2023 Warehouse Lease Template L201WH [DOCX - 420 KB]
- FY2023 AAAP Lease Template [DOCX - 278 KB] (All regions except R9)
- FY2023 AAAP RLP Template [DOCX - 115 KB]
- FY2023 SLAT Lease Template [DOCM - 258 KB]
- FY2023 SLAT RLP Template [DOCM - 611 KB]
- FY2023 Small Lease Requirements Template [DOCX - 146 KB]
- FY2023 Small RLP Template R103 [DOCX - 541 KB]
- FY2023 FEMA Supplemental Land Lease Requirements Template [DOCX - 70 KB]
- FY2023 FEMA Oral RLP Template [DOCX - 61 KB]
- FY2023 FEMA Supplemental Office Lease Requirements Template [DOCX - 100 KB]
- FY2023 On-Airport Lease Template L201D [DOCX - 113 KB]
- ENERGY STAR® Requirement for Lease Acquisition Table [Energy Independence and Security Act [EISA] Section 435] [PDF - 63 KB]—Outlines minimum requirements and exceptions for various project and space types.
- ENERGY STAR® Training
- Introduction to ENERGY STAR® (revised 2020) [PDF - 2 MB]—Provides an introduction to ENERGY STAR® in federal real estate lease procurement.
- Advanced ENERGY STAR® (revised 2020) [PDF - 2 MB]—Outlines the ENERGY STAR® federal leasing requirements, challenges, leasing scenarios, and tools and resources.
- Portfolio Manager Guidance - Instructions on how to use EPA’s Portfolio Manager tool to report building data [PDF - 3 MB].
Green Lease Standards and Guidelines (GLSG)
The Green Lease Standards and Guidelines (GLSG) [PDF - 333 KB] execute the sustainable leasing requirements of Executive Order 14057. The Green Lease Standards and Guidelines (GLSG) contain required and recommended provisions to include in a federal lease procurement. Agencies must include all required building and performance GLSG items in a federal procurement for a lease to be considered a green lease. The recommended GLSG support sustainability within the lease and are encouraged but not required to meet the definition of a green lease. Effective 10/1/23, the green lease standards and guidelines apply to leases that GSA directly procures and to leases for agencies that GSA has given the delegated authority to procure. The Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) will issue guidance for leases with non-GSA agencies. GSA’s current October 2023 Request for Lease Proposals (RLP) and Lease documents contain the required GLSG provisions.
GSA-Issued Leasing Policies
- LAC-2023-02 Revisions to Leasing Desk Guide Chapter 18, Sustainability and Environmental Considerations [PDF - 326 KB] - Issues a revised Chapter 18 for the Leasing Desk Guide, updates sustainability policy to reflect current Executive Orders, Lease and RLP template updates, Leasing Alerts, and agency initiatives.”
- LA-19-06 Cancelation of Leasing Alert LA-18-10 [PDF - 147 KB]—Cancels the LA-18-10 Leasing Alert and Attachments [ZIP - 309 KB], Modification to ENERGY STAR® Requirement [PDF - 2 MB] concerning EPA certification suspension, due to EPA reinstating certifications as of July 31, 2019.
- LA-FY17-07 Net of Utilities Lease Structure [PDF - 75 KB]—Identifies the selective use of net of utilities leases versus fully serviced leases.
- LA-15-03 Incorporating Principles of Sustainability Economic Development and Efficiency into Location Decision-Making [PDF - 203 KB] - Explains policy for promoting efficiency economic development and sustainability in location planning decisions.
- LAC-2015-02 PBS Key Sustainable Products [PDF - 4 MB]—Issues lease policy to identify PBS-wide environmental requirements for products that PBS, its lessors, and its contractors purchase most frequently.
- LAC-2011-13 Sustainability Update [PDF - 674 KB]—Modifies green lease language and ENERGY STAR® requirements.
- RSL-2010-2 ENERGY STAR® Requirement for Lease Acquisition [PDF - 3 MB]—Implements the ENERGY STAR® requirement of the EISA of 2007 for Lease Acquisition (Section 435), includes solicitation for offers language for the ENERGY STAR® requirement and SLAT leases, and explains the Potential Cost Effective Energy Efficiency and Conservation Improvements for Leased Buildings [DOCX - 34 KB].
- Leasing Desk Guide Chapter 18 - Sustainability and Environmental Considerations [PDF - 326 KB] - Provides comprehensive guidance and information on sustainability policies, statutory requirements, and best practices.
- Lessor Reporting of Energy Consumption, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, and Water Usage - This page outlines Lessor reporting requirements and guidance related to building efficiency.
- Office of Leasing Sustainability Requirements [PDF - 3 MB]—Provides sustainability requirements.
- Leasing Sustainability Counts [XLSX - 93 KB]—Lists Guiding Principal compliant, LEED®/Green Globes® rated, and ENERGY STAR® labeled leases.
- Sustainable Facilities Tool—Provides broad information on mandatory and recommended sustainable products and practices, including associated laws, policies, and Executive Orders for all federal agencies. For GSA-specific leasing guidance, refer to our leasing policies and procedures.
- Office of Federal High Performance Buildings—Serves as a resource and coordination point for all federal sustainability initiatives.
- White House Council on Environmental Quality—Coordinates the federal government’s efforts to improve, preserve, and protect America’s public health and environment.