Federal agencies can apply for conditional delegations of leasing authority to procure space.
GSA grants agencies delegation of authority to lease a certain type of space through special purpose, categorical, or general purpose delegations.
- Special purpose delegations, defined in FMR 102-73.160, are standing delegations of authority granted to federal agencies to lease special purpose spaces. The list of approved special purpose spaces is different for each agency.
- Categorical space delegations, defined in FMR 102-73.145, are used to acquire spaces for specific or unique purposes such as docks, greenhouses, hospitals, ranger stations, and others. View the complete list of categorical spaces in FMR 102-73.145.
- General purpose delegations are those that do not fit the other definitions.
Find more information about how to request a delegation for each type of space in Lease Delegations Overview for Customers [PDF - 92 KB].
Obtaining a delegation
To obtain a delegation, you must demonstrate that you can acquire and administer the lease and it is cost-effective for us to authorize the delegation.
If you request a general purpose or special purpose leasing delegation, you must comply with FMR Bulletin C-2 [PDF - 196 KB], which explains how to process leasing delegation requests, provide guidance to petitioning agencies, and perform the post-award review process for delegated leases.
If your agency wants to use a general purpose, categorical, or special purpose leasing delegation for a space larger than 2,500 square feet, you must submit a delegation application in the GSA G-REX data system. To access the G-REX system, fill out the G-REX Account Request Form for External Users [PDF - 27 KB] and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lease Obligation Statutes and Procedures [PDF - 77 KB] explains PBS’s obligations and limits the terms of leases.
- Memo for users of OMB Circular no. A-11 on Revolving Funds [PDF - 296 KB] summarizes revisions to the OMB Circular No. A-11.
- Delegation of Lease Acquisition Authority Annual Obligation of Multi-year lease [PDF - 64 KB] clarifies FMR Bulletin 2005-B-1 and describes the requirements of Executive Order 13327.