Types of Security Containers
There are two classes of security containers available.
Class 5 Containers
These containers are typically used for storage of weapons and sensitive items such as funds, jewels, precious metals, etc. Class 5 containers may also be used for storage of classified documents, components, materials, and equipment. They provide the same protection as Class 6 plus ten minutes against forced entry attack. Class 5 containers come in several types: file cabinet, map and plan, weapon storage, and IPS. There are Class 5–W containers used solely for weapons storage. These containers are not intended to store classified materials.
See the catalog pages below for product details for Class 5 containers, including National Stock Numbers (NSN), color options, and dimensions.
- Class 5 Filing Cabinets [PDF - 135 KB]. For legal size 2 and 4-drawer.
- Class 5 Map and Plan General Purpose [PDF - 149 KB]
- Class 5-W Weapons Containers [PDF - 197 KB]
Class 6 Containers
These containers are typically used for storage of classified information such as documents, maps, drawings, and plans. They come in file cabinet and map and plan styles. There are Class 6-S containers which are specifically designed for installation and use aboard DoD ships to protect classified information.
See the catalog pages below for product details for Class 6 containers, including National Stock Numbers (NSN), color options, and dimensions.
- Class 6 Filing Cabinets [PDF - 165 KB]. For legal and letter size 2, 4, or 5 drawer and special size 1 drawer
- Class 6 General Purpose [PDF - 136 KB].
- Class 6-S Shipboard Containers [PDF - 112 KB]. For legal and Letter Size 2, 4, and 5 drawer filing cabinets.
All of the above security containers meet one of the following relevant specifications:
- AA-F-358J [pdf] – Filing Cabinet, Legal and Letter Size, Uninsulated, Security.
- AA-F-363D [pdf] – Filing Cabinet, Security, Maps and Plans, General Filing and Storage.
- AA-C-2859A [pdf] – Cabinet, Security, Weapons' Storage.
- AA-D-600D [pdf] – Door, Vault, Security.
See the DoD Lock Program’s Federal Specifications and Qualified Products List for the latest version the specifications listed above.