Utility Services Overview
We are the only federal agency that has authority under 40 U.S.C. 501 and FAR Part 41 to procure utility services for federal agencies such as electricity, natural gas, water, wastewater, and steam. We delegated this authority to the Department of Defense, including the Defense Logistics Agency, Department of Energy, and Department of Veterans Affairs for connection charges only.
We also represent federal customers before federal and state agencies that regulate electricity and natural gas utility service providers as part of our utility services per 40 U.S.C. 501; FAR Subpart 41.103.
Our team of utility services contracting officers procure energy in the:
- Retail choice market for electricity and natural gas through a competitive process.
- Vertically integrated market through areawide contracts.
Our contracting vehicles enable customers to procure utility services at the lowest cost to the taxpayer and the greatest value to American citizens.
We also partner with investor-owned utility companies, national associations, and non-profit environmental organizations to disseminate information on energy-related issues. To facilitate our mission, we:
- Aggregate purchasing of electricity and natural gas retail choice markets.
- Negotiate the best transportation rate with local natural gas companies.
- Validate the invoices from local natural gas distribution companies and suppliers.
- Administer energy supply procurements.
- Establish areawide contracts for the procurement of utilities and for the acquisition of value-added services such as utility financing of energy conservation projects.
Carbon Pollution-Free Electricity Updates
We also work with our customers to identify their renewable energy and carbon pollution-free electricity requirements for the retail choice electricity procurements. Check the electricity solicitation page on SAM.gov to view open requests for information or requests for proposals.
If you have questions, contact email@example.com.