Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Location: 410 SW 5th St, Lawton, OK 73501
The Federal Building/US Courthouse in Lawton, Oklahoma is significant because it is an excellent example of the Neo-Classical style of architecture; and it is a symbol of the Federal presence in Lawton.
The brick building, constructed in 1917, rests on a rusticated stone base. The base exhibits arched, balustraded windows reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance style. The upper, brick-clad floors exhibit the Greek orders in the slightly projecting pavilion which displays Doric columns supporting an architrave. This combination of elements is characteristic of the Neo-Classical Revival style.
The city of Lawton, the last of the Oklahoma land-boom towns, was founded in 1901. It quickly became a trading center for a large, surrounding farm area. The major military installation, Fort Sill, had been established in 1869 and Lawton, to the south of the Fort, grew quickly in response to the needs of the residents. Originally built as a Post Office and Courthouse, the building also housed Federal offices. When the Postal Service relocated, portions of the building were reconfigured to provide for more court-related offices. The Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Lawton has been a continuing symbol of the Federal presence in Lawton since its construction in 1917.