U.S. Border Station, Trout River, NY
Location: 17010 NY-30, Constable, NY 12926
The Trout River Border Inspection Station in Trout River, New York is one of seven existing border inspection stations built between 1931 and 1934 along the New York and Canadian border. Georgian Revival in style, the building was designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury, James A. Wetmore, during tenure of the Secretary of the Treasury, A.W. Mellon, and constructed from 1931 to 1932. At the time of its construction Louis A. Simon was Superintendent of the Architectural Section. Border stations were constructed by the federal government in New England along the border with Canada during the 1930s and several common plans and elevations can be discerned among the remaining stations. Trout River shares with the others a residential scale, a Neo-colonial style, and an organization to accommodate functions of both customs and immigration services.
Border Stations are associated with four important events in United States history: the imposition of Prohibition between 1919 and 1933; enactment of the Elliot-Fernald public buildings act in 1926 which was followed closely by the Depression; and the popularity of the automobile whose price was increasingly affordable thanks to Henry Ford's creation of the industrial assembly line. The stations were constructed as part of the government's program to improve its public buildings and to control casual smuggling of alcohol which most often took place in cars crossing the border. Their construction was also seen as a means of giving work to the many locally unemployed.
The Trout River border station is one of the best preserved in New York. While the border stations have all sustained systematic alterations, they have retained, in varying degrees, most of their original fabric. This station is on both exterior and interior a fine example of the building type, its character defining features well-maintained and intact.
- Architect: James A. Wetmore
- Construction Date: 1931
- GSA Building Number: NY0216ZZ
- National Register of Historic Places Landmark Status: National Register Listed