U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and Custom House, Key West, FL
Location: 301 Simonton St, Key West, FL 33040
The U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and Custom House in Key West derives its historical significance as a representation of the federal presence in Key West.
The passage of the Public Buildings Act of 1926 precipitated a period of building construction that was unprecedented in the United States. The Public Buildings Act specified that the office of the Supervising Architect of the Department of the Treasury would be responsible for the design and construction of all public buildings. The Key West Federal Building was constructed during this period, in 1930-1932. There is no documented architect, therefore it is believed that the plans came from the office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury, James A. Wetmore. Algernon Blair of Montgomery, Alabama was general contractor; Charles M. Pritchett was construction engineer. The original contract for the building designated $344,307 as the cost of construction.
The building was built to be the U.S. Post Office, Courthouse and Custom House for Key West. The U.S. Post Office moved to a new building in 1985, but the Custom Service and Courts still remain. Other tenants are the U.S. Marshal's Service, the FBI and Social Security.
The Key West U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and Custom House is a contributing property located within the Key West Historic District and, as such, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Architects: James A. Wetmore
- Construction Dates: 1933
- GSA Building Number: FL0019ZZ
- National Register of Historic Places Landmark Status: National Register Listed