Bring required documents

You must have two physical and current forms of identification: at least one must be a primary form of ID.

If the names on your forms of ID do not match, you may need to bring the appropriate linking documentation, such as a marriage license or court order, that shows the change in names. If your name will soon change, contact your sponsor to learn what to do.

You cannot complete your appointment if you do not have the appropriate documents with you. An expired form of ID (including your PIV card) is not acceptable for either enrollment or activation appointments.

Primary form

You can bring two of these, but you must have at least one:

  • U.S. passport or passport card.
  • Permanent resident card or alien registration receipt card (Form I-551).
  • Foreign passport.
  • Employment authorization document with a photo (Form I-776).
  • Driver’s license or photo ID card that is compliant with REAL-ID.
  • State-issued photo ID card.
  • U.S. military ID card.
  • U.S. military dependent’s ID card.
  • PIV card.

Secondary form

Bring one of these, unless you have two primary forms.

  • U.S. Social Security card (not laminated).
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States with an official seal.
  • Voter registration card.
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card.
  • Certificate of U.S. citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561).
  • Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570).
  • U.S. citizen ID card (Form I-197).
  • ID card for use by a resident citizen in the United States (Form I-179).
  • Certification of birth abroad or certification of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form F-545 or Form DS-1350).
  • Employment authorization document issued by Department of Homeland Security (Form I-766).
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government entity.
  • Native American tribal document.
  • Veteran Health Identification Card.
  • Agency ID badge issued by federal, state, or local government agency or entity with a photo — not a facility access badge.
  • Another piece of evidence that meets the requirements of SP 800-63A.

Unacceptable forms

Identity documents that will not be accepted include:

  • Student ID card (from any university).
  • Company ID card.
  • Gun or firearms permit.
  • License to carry.
  • Hunting or fishing permit.
  • Facility badge.
  • Temporary driver’s licenses.
  • Selective service card.
  • Foreign driver’s license (other than Canada).
  • Library card.
  • Temporary PIV card.
  • Marriage license (but this can be shown when there are different names on a birth certificate and a current driver’s license, for example).


Primary Secondary Result
State driver’s license U.S. Social Security card Acceptable
U.S. passport State driver’s license Acceptable
U.S. military ID card Department of State ID card Acceptable
U.S. Social Security card Voter registration card Unacceptable (no primary form)
State driver’s license State ID card Unacceptable (driver’s license or ID card is one primary form)
Expired PIV card State driver’s license Unacceptable (none can be expired)

Linking documents

Linking documents, such as a marriage license or divorce decree, must contain both the previous and current names.

Primary Secondary Linking document Result
State driver’s license with maiden name U.S. military dependent ID card with married name Marriage license with both names on it Acceptable
U.S. passport with married name State driver’s license with maiden name Court record linking the two names Acceptable

Tell us what you think

Last Reviewed: 2023-03-17