Overtime Utilities: FAQs

If you don't find your question and answer below, please submit your question to the PBS OU Help Desk.

  • Is there a mechanism for tenants to make a claim and receive a credit when it is believed that required services during the 10-hour day are not consistently provided?
    For 10-hour day service issues, work with the GSA Property Manager and Regional Account Manager to resolve any disputes on service disruptions.
  • If a TENANT regularly requires greater than 10-hours of services per day, can the lease or occupancy agreement be adjusted to increase or change “normal base operating hours” in order to reduce overall costs?
    For federally owned space, standard utility services included in the operating rent are based on the value of a one-shift office operation, Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. PBS provides a consistent heating or cooling temperature for one shift (minimum of 10 operating hours). If the local market practice provides standard HVAC hours that exceed 10 hours (and/or Saturday hours), and the lease states the building’s normal operating hours, additional reimbursement is not required for those hours and there is no additional cost to the government for tenant special services. For more information, please see Section 2.6 (page 2–23) of GSA's pricing desk guide [PDF - 1 MB].
  • Does the 10 hours include the time it takes buildings to ramp up to required temperatures?
    The 10 hours is “at temperature” so startup and shutdown associated with the standard 10-hour operating time are not included and won’t be charged (however, HVAC services and the associated startup and shutdown outside of the standard 10 hours will be charged).
  • What are the required minimum and maximum temperatures that GSA sets for buildings and do they vary by region/location?
    According to FMR 102-74.185, temperatures are intended to be between 74°F and 78°F in the summer months and between 68°F and 72°F in the winter months, though this may vary due to geographical locations, building design, and building use.
  • How are costs for IT server rooms assessed and are they different from other OU costs?
    Because server rooms have more equipment running per square foot than the average office space, we ensure the amount of energy being consumed to cool the space is equal to the amount of energy heating the space.
  • Who pays for the humidification system in the building?
    According to FMR §102-74.185, humidification in federal space where the agency has special tenant improvements such as special wood millwork and wall covering material is the responsibility of the agency.
  • How does GSA calculate the total KW used for both the heating and cooling seasons?
    This is based on the equipment selected for each season on the maintenance feeder sheet in GSA’s estimating tool through RETA.
  • How does GSA estimate the load on various pieces of equipment?
    The Property Managers work with the O&M Contractor to review the loads on the equipment using the equipment logs or BAS system.
  • Does GSA include “other costs” within OU billings?
    Yes—depending on the specific tenant request, we consider preventative maintenance labor, above-standard cleaning, and mechanical labor and material costs (e.g., special cleaning needed for a firing range, extra cleaning after an event, and starting up the building’s HVAC equipment.)
  • How are OUs assessed when multiple agencies within the same building request OU for the same or overlapping periods?
    The OU shared equipment cost is split between the estimates, taking into account both time and space requirements to satisfy each tenant’s request.
  • How are the prices per unit of fuel established?
    They are pulled from the actual utility bills that are loaded into the Energy Usage Analysis System (EUAS).
  • How can an agency obtain documentation supporting the OU charges?
    The tenant can request a copy from EUAS from their Property Manager.
Last Reviewed: 2022-10-13