USAGov en Español celebrates 20 years
Please see the Spanish version of this release.
WASHINGTON – Today, USAGov en Español celebrates 20 years of service to the public. Launched as FirstGov en Español in 2003 by the U.S. General Services Administration, the website became the official guide to government information in Spanish, connecting Spanish speakers directly to information about federal programs and services.
Over the years, USAGov en Español has grown to provide a culturally sensitive experience for Spanish speakers through:
- A design and development in native Spanish, not a translation.
- An accessible, human-centered website that helps people complete key tasks like filing taxes, applying for financial assistance, and navigating other life experiences.
- A contact center that provides direct support through calls and chats.
- An engaging social media presence and email notifications to keep the public up-to-date on popular, helpful topics.
“USAGov en Español is helping deliver services that people need when they need them, providing a great customer experience and building trust in government at every step,” said Robin Carnahan, Administrator of the U.S. General Services Administration. “We are going to build on its success by using human centered design and research to make government services even more friendly and accessible to millions of Spanish speakers.”
Since 2003, the program has grown from 1.2 million web visits to 11.3 million in FY 2023. Today, USAGov en Español regularly partners with federal agencies through outreach and engagement efforts. In 2022, for example, USAGov en Español hosted a multi-agency #TuGobiernoEnEspañol (Your Government in Spanish) Twitter chat that reached over 250,000 people. USAGov en Español has also partnered with the Social Security Administration to highlight and connect Spanish speakers with benefits information.
Some key milestones of the program include:
- Creating the Multilingual Community of Practice in 2004 (now managed by the GSA’s Digital.gov program) to connect government professionals and share best practices, challenges, and ideas to develop and deploy multilingual content.
- Supporting partners and the public during times of emergency like Hurricane Maria in 2017 and the COVID-19 pandemic starting in 2020. During the COVID-19 pandemic, people engaged with USAGov and USAGov en Español over 72 million times to apply for benefits, find vaccines, and more.
- Launching a new version of USAGov en Español in April 2023 driven by the needs of Spanish-speaking users, accessibility and design best practices. This new version was built using the U.S. Web Design System to deliver a great digital experience that meets federal standards.
“The USAGov en Español team continues to establish more partnerships with agencies and increase collaboration across the government so Spanish speakers can have a more seamless government experience,” said Technology Transformation Services Director Ann Lewis. “The program is focused on improving how we deliver information and services, with a special focus on better understanding what the public needs.”
A special episode of the GSA Does That!? Podcast will explore how USAGov en Español has put people first throughout the years.
The public can interact with USAGov en Español by:
- Visiting the site: usa.gov/es/.
- Calling the contact center at 1-844-USA-GOV1 (1-844-872-4681) and select option #2 for Spanish.
- Following @USAGovEspanol on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter).
- Subscribing to receive email updates.
About TTS: GSA’s TTS applies modern methodologies and technologies to improve the lives of the public and public servants. TTS helps agencies make their services more accessible, efficient, and effective with modern applications, platforms, processes, personnel, and software solutions. TTS offices include 18F, Centers of Excellence, Presidential Innovation Fellows, and a diverse portfolio of solutions, including initiatives like FedRAMP, USAGov, Digital.gov, cloud.gov, and Login.gov.
About GSA: GSA provides centralized procurement and shared services for the federal government, managing a nationwide real estate portfolio of nearly 370 million rentable square feet, overseeing about $87 billion in products and services via federal contracts, and delivering technology services that serve millions of people across dozens of federal agencies. GSA’s mission is to deliver the best customer experience and value in real estate, acquisition, and technology services to the government and the American people. For more information, visit GSA.gov and follow us at @USGSA.