Resources for Federal Agencies

A play room in a child-care center, with blond-wood shelving and furniture, and green flooring and ceiling, with toys and learning materials

GSA provides guidance and support for work-site child care centers in federally controlled facilities to assist employees providing care to a dependent:

How to set up a child care center in GSA-managed space

Federal agencies setting up a child care center in a GSA-managed building must work with GSA. You can work with other agencies to jointly sponsor a center. View the Starting a Child Care Development Center [PDF - 2 MB] checklist, which explains how to:

  • Form an organizing committee and establish interagency agreements.
  • Seek building services, providers, and program oversight.
  • Secure licenses and insurance.

Additional ways federal agencies can support child care programs:

  • Use appropriated funds or recycling rebates for your tuition assistance program.
  • Give your employees official time off to serve on the board of directors.
Last Reviewed: 2022-09-19