Technology Policies and Initiatives
GSA's Office of Technology Policy works closely with OMB, the CIO Council, and other agencies to facilitate the implementation of technology policy, large-scale IT initiatives, and legislation. Through guidance, communities of practice, collaboration and shared services, we lead government-wide information technology (IT) initiatives in the areas of:
- Digital Strategy
- Information Security
- IT Accessibility
- IT Infrastructure Modernization
- Emerging Technologies
- IT Spending Transparency
We support cross-agency collaboration to improve digital service delivery and compliance with federal web policy.
- Federal Web Council - An interagency group of federal web managers working together to improve the delivery of U.S. government information and services.
- 21st Century IDEA - The Act aims to improve the digital experience for government customers and reinforces existing requirements for federal public websites.
We support identity, credential, and access management (ICAM) activities across the federal government.
- IDmanagement.gov - Identity, credential, and access management tools and support
- FICAM Playbooks - Learn how to facilitate ICAM practices at your agency
- Federal PKI Policy Authority - Digital certificate standards for trusted digital identity and transactions
We are the government's principal advocate for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) accessibility. We provide training, technical assistance and online tools to support compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, and conformance to the Revised 508 Standards.
- Section508.gov - Technical guidance to help federal agencies buy, build, and use technology that is accessible.
- Accessibility Requirements Tool - Ensure the IT your agency buys or builds is accessible to persons with disabilities.
IT Infrastructure Modernization
We help agencies optimize their data center and IT infrastructure through development and sharing of technologies, tools and evidence-based best practices. We also lead the Cloud & Infrastructure Community of Practice (C&I CoP).
- Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI) - Helps federal agencies meet OMB requirements to consolidate and modernize IT infrastructure.
IT Spending Transparency
We coordinate government-wide efforts around technology budget and spending initiatives.
- Folio (formerly eCPIC) - IT capital planning process tools and support.
- Technology Business Management (TBM) - Categorize IT spending, resulting in a better understanding of IT resources, how they're used, and what drives cost.