Federal Building/U.S. Courthouse, Sherman, TX
Location: 101 E Pecan St, Sherman, TX 75090
The Federal Building/US Courthouse in Sherman, Texas is significant because it is an excellent example of Renaissance Revival architecture expressed in a small building; and it is a continuing symbol of the Federal presence in Sherman, TX.
Construction on the limestone building began on January 16, 1906 and the building was occupied in late 1907. Granite for the base was quarried in Burnett, Texas and brought to Sherman by railroad and wagon. It is built in the Renaissance Revival style with Northern Italian influences, a popular style of the period. Elements are symmetrical with arched windows on the first floor and balustraded windows on the second floor. A massive cornice is the crowning feature, and the building has a red clay Ludowici tile roof.
Sherman is a manufacturing center approximately 50 miles north of Dallas. The area was growing rapidly in the early 1900s due to the east Texas oil boom. When the building was constructed in 1907, it was the main Post Office for the area. It also housed a courtroom on the second floor. When the Postal Service moved out of the building in 1962, the space was converted for use as court-related offices. The exterior appearance remains much as it was in the early part of the 20th Century. The building retains its original function as a courthouse and, therefore, continues as a strong symbol of the Federal presence in Sherman.
- Construction Dates: 1906-1907
- GSA Building Number: TX0210ZZ
- Landmark Status: National Register Listed