Periodic Maintenance Of Wood Veneer Paneling
- Procedure code:
- National Capitol Region Specifications - Cohen Building
- Architectural Woodwork
- Last Modified:
- This procedure includes guidance on the periodic cleaning of wood paneling with a non-ionic detergent to remove surface dirt and oils. This procedure may be used prior to refinishing work. For guidance on refinishing interior wood, see 06400-10-R.
- Non-Ionic Detergent: Concentrate, silicate buffered, non-ionic, rinseless-type synthetic detergent, containing no soaps, free alkali, solvents, abrasives, acids, caustics and other deleterious materials, do websearch for product information, some non-ionic detergents for use on wood include: Triton X-100 or Orvus paste or approved equal; follow manufacturer's guidance in use of products.
- Cloths: Soft, clean, and lint free
- Clean, potable water
- Protection: All surfaces adjacent to wood being cleaned shall be protected during cleaning and the surface restoration process. All damaged items shall be corrected by the Contractor at no expense to the Government.
- Surface Preparation: Test wash an inconspicuous area of wood to verify that method and materials have no adverse effect on existing finish.
3.02 ERECTION, INSTALLATION, APPLICATION
- Dilute non-ionic detergent with water using proportions as directed by manufacturer.
- Damp wipe with sponge. Do not saturate wood.
- Wipe dry with a clean dry cloth, rubbing in direction of grain.
print Last Reviewed 2017-11-30