Cleaning Ornamental Bronze Light Fixtures
- Procedure code:
- National Capitol Region Specifications
- Lighting Fixtures
- Last Modified:
- This procedure includes guidance on cleaning existing interior ornamental bronze lighting fixtures.
- See "General Project Guidelines" for general project guidelines to be reviewed along with this procedure. These guidelines cover the following sections:
- Safety Precautions
- Historic Structures Precautions
- Quality Assurance
- Delivery, Storage and Handling
- Project/Site Conditions
- Sequencing and Scheduling
- General Protection (Surface and Surrounding)
These guidelines should be reviewed prior to performing this procedure and should be followed, when applicable, along with recommendations from the Regional Historic Preservation Officer (RHPO).
- Mild Soap: Ivory or a mild detergent with pH of approximately 8.0.
- Cloth: Clean cotton waste.
- Clean, potable water.
3.01 ERECTION, INSTALLATION, APPLICATION
- Erect a stable working platform, which will allow easy access to all elements of the lighting fixture and ithangers. Support fixture so that no additional pressure will be placed on its hangers during the cleaning operation.
- Remove all bulbs and removable glass elements. Clean with a mild soap and water. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Clean glass elements which cannot be safely removed inside and out. Using a small nozzle, carefully vacuum dirt from the inside of the fixture and wash the glass with a mild soap and water, rinse thoroughly with clear water and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
- Cleaning Metal Framework and Hangers: Wash, clean and oil all the bronze elements of the fixture. For guidance on cleaning, oiling, polishing, and patinating, see "Checklist For Inspecting Cast Iron Failures" and "Cleaning And Oiling Statuary Bronze Surfaces".
print Last Reviewed 2017-11-30