Get Started

To become a GSA vendor requires perseverance, time, and research. If you are wondering if GSA is a fit for your small business, read “Is GSA Right For You?”

Prequalifying: To qualify to sell to GSA you will need to have a proven track record in your industry. Typically, this means your business existed for at least two years and has earned revenue of at least $25,000 per year, but this can vary by the type of procurement program. Not sure if you qualify as a small business in the federal government's view? Use this tool developed by the Small Business Administration to figure it out.

  1. Research the government market
  2. Understand How GSA Buys
    There's a lot to know to maximize business opportunities:
  3. Required Training
    These are required, online training that must be completed before you can respond to a Schedule contract solicitation.
  4. Register Your Business
    To sell to the federal government your business must be a “known” legal entity. Requirements:
    • Get a DUNS number. A DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) number is a unique, nine-digit identifier issued and maintained by Dun & Bradstreet that verifies the existence of a business entity globally.
    • Determine the Size of Your Business. Visit the Small Business Administration (SBA) website and verify that your company meets size requirements that classify it as a “small” business. While on the website, learn about contracting set-asides and find out if your company qualifies. If it does we encourage you to begin the certification process now. This will allow you to compete for a larger number of contracting opportunities sooner.
    • Get a Past Performance Evaluation from Dun & Bradstreet. A Past Performance Evaluation (PPE) report provides a robust and independent view of supplier past performance. The report assesses supplier performance relative to peers in the same industry and is often requested as part of a vendor bid process. Your company must register and provide the names and email addresses of six to 20 of your customers. This service has a fee.
    Visit SAM.GOV (System for Awards Management). Learn about SAM, then go to the site and register. This is a free service.

Still have questions? Contact OSBU

print Share Icon Last Reviewed: 2018-10-12