Exchange/Sale Property

If you represent a federal agency that has personal property you want to replace, you can exchange or sell it, and money you get from the sale to get replacement property.

If you represent a federal agency that wants to get exchange property, you must pay fair market value for it.

If, after a two-day federal screening period, GSA can’t find a federal party that wants it, we will move the items to Sales to dispose of it.

GSA Exchange/Sale Authority

Federal agencies that have personal property they would like to replace can exchange or sell it, and apply the exchange allowance or proceeds to the acquisition of replacement property under the GSA Exchange/Sale Authority. This authority allows agencies to avoid storage and other costs associated with holding property for the normal disposal cycle.

Prohibited Items

See Federal Management Regulation, FMR 102-39 for items prohibited for exchange/sale.

Selling surplus property

Federal agencies can use our services to conduct agency sales of its surplus, exchange/sale, and forfeited personal property. We charge a competitive fee.

Our staff works with agencies to tailor our services to meet their needs.

We conduct sales efficiently and quickly to get the highest return with least inconvenience to the agencies who want to sell or buy. Visit GSA Auctions® Sales for more information.

Last Reviewed: 2023-03-03